Monday, May 4, 2009

The Pig Woman

From the ship’s log of Odysseus:

It was a terrible day and night with no chance of figuring out where we were at in the middle of this giant ocean. All of the men are still completely heartbroken at the loss of their friends. We had been sailing around the ocean in what seemed like circles. Everywhere we looked there was nothing but mist and fog. Finally the word we had all been waiting for: “Land!”

Surely the lookout was mistaken, for we hadn’t seen or even thought of seeing land in what seemed like forever. However, we beached shortly after. All of my men were beside themselves, happy with the solid ground beneath their feet. After a short time the sky began to clear, and the constellations were nothing but beasts. The men, who were actually scared about what they would run into on this strange island, finally convinced themselves to travel down the path they had discovered. I went to find some food and ended up shooting two deer with one arrow and carried them both back to the ships. I then hurried to catch up with my men.

I was just in time to see them find a house in the middle of a beautiful meadow. As I reached the edge of the woods, I watched them all enter this house and saw a strange woman start whacking them all in the head with a short piece of wood. Then I watched as my men turned into pigs. This act proved to me that I was dealing with the sorceress Circe herself. At this I ran in and threatened her life, and she said she would release them as long as I stayed with her for a month. She was so impressed by my good looks that she had fallen hopelessly in love with me.

Author: Logan

No comments:

Post a Comment